The coronavirus or COVID 19 was first identified in Wuhan, China. COVID-19 virus is a new virus associated with the same family of viruses such as Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS) and some common colds. Therefore, essential facts and the method to prevent coronavirus can keep people from COVID 19.
1. Fact 1: You still get COVID 19 if you are young
People over the age of 60 and people with weakened immune systems are at high risk for coronavirus infection. Besides, young people and even children can be infected although the infection rate is not high. According to the New York Times, nearly 40% of hospitalized coronavirus patients are under the age of 54 in America.
2. Fact 2: Even if you don’t have any symptoms, you can still be infectious
Common symptoms of coronavirus are fever, dry cough, headache, and runny nose. In rare cases when a person is newly infected with COVID 19, the person does not have these symptoms but can still pass the infection on to others.
3. Fact 3: You can’t get coronavirus from your pets
There is no evidence that domestic animals, cattle or wildlife can transmit the disease to a human. Dr. Dasgupta said: “We are still unsure if people can transmit it to their pets”.
4. Fact 4: The COVID 19 pandemic won’t end if the weather is warmer
Warm weather cannot kill the virus. The spread can be a bit slow because there is a tendency to cough less and sneeze during warm days.
5. How to prevent coronavirus
Here are four precautions you and your family can take to prevent infection:
- Wash your hands often with soap and clean water or with an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
- Cover your mouth and nose with your elbow or a tissue, when coughing or sneezing, and throw the tissue in the trash.
- Avoid close contact with anyone who has symptoms of the flu.
- See a doctor if you have a fever, cough or feel short of breath.
Last but not least, social distancing is so important for COVID 19 prevention. Let’s raise our awareness to repel this dangerous pandemic.